What a great day! I woke up to breakfast in bed. Mike made me a wonderful meal with toast, mixed fruit, eggs, orange juice and yogurt. It was all delicious!
He pinned an orchid corsage to my blouse as we headed out the door for church.
When we got home, I received many love letters from my sweet children (and from their dad too).

Corban gave me a flower he "picked off a tree."
Cari made me a book of poems about mothers. Included were two she had written herself. This one was my favorite:
What Makes a Mother
She cooks and cleans
She keeps the house
Makes sure the spots are gone.
She cleans the spill up off the floor,
Without even stifling a yawn.
She makes sure dinner's ready
By six and Dad comes home
And makes enough for everyone,
So no one's left alone.
She gives some of the nicest hugs
And loves her children dearly.
She knows just what is going on,
Sees everything so clearly.
She's kind to everyone she sees,
So unlike any other
She serves in every way she can
This is what makes a mother.

Trevon also wrote me a poem that he put
inside a paper box he made:
Motherly Love
When around my mother
I feel very strange.
Deep inside there is
a great change.
This feeling that fills
inside my chest,
Helps me want
to be my best.
It makes me want
to help her out.
It vanquishes all
of my doubt.
This box is full
of the same feeling
The feeling that helps me
through my dealings.

Sadie gave me a beautiful watch; Kristi made me a glittery card; Cameron gave me some body lotion, a cute notepad, and promises to help me all week long. Elise made me violet flowers and also wrote a poem for me:
My Mom
My mom looks like a queen.
Her hands are soft.
She smells good like my best potato soup.
Her job is to take care of my family.
When she is alone she likes to take her blood out.
She likes to eat salad.
When we are together we like to play games.
My mom is happy when I give her flowers.
Something special about my mom is she is beautiful.
She loves me because I am nice.
I love my mom because she does lots of nice things for me.
Happy Mother's Day!
Love,
Elise
I laughed because it was so cute, but Elise wasn't happy about my response. I don't generally "take my blood out," but I have donated plasma and blood and she was thinking about that. I have to smile about smelling like soup too!!!
We ate a nice Lasagna dinner, that everyone helped prepare. Then, we went outside to enjoy our surroundings and play with the chickens. The chickens are growing fast, and have been a lot of fun for the kids.

Mike wanted to make a special dessert and so he made Apple Betty, one of his mom's recipes. It was delicious, served hot with some cold vanilla ice cream!
Apple Betty
4 cups sliced and pared tart apples
1/4 c. orange juice
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 cup butter
Mound apples in buttered 9-inch pie plate. Sprinkle with orange juice. Combine sugar, flour, spices, and dash salt; cut in butter till mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over apples. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes or till apples are tender and topping is crisp. Serve with ice-cream. Serves 6.
What a nice Mother's Day! I've been meaning to tell you that you smell like potato soup. :) And Shelly, how many times have I told you to stop taking your blood out?!?!
ReplyDeleteHappy Mother's Day!!