Friday, April 30, 2010

Nickel Auction


Thursday night I went to a friend's house for a Nickel Auction. This party had a cruise/midnight buffet theme, and all were invited to dress in their resort/cruise wear. I didn't have a party dress, but that was okay!!! No one seemed to notice!



Your "ticket" into this "cruise" involved three things:
1. Five Dollars in Nickels
2. Three Items to Sell
3. Appetizer/Dessert to Share
The items one brings to these auctions to sell are things people would want. They may be gently used, but should DESIRABLE. For example: lotions, art, frozen cookie dough, perfume, games, WHATEVER! Last night I brought a corn-bag (hot/cold pack); some bubble bath, and a brand new bath towel to sell.
As people arrive, you write down their names. Then, you begin with the first person on the list, letting them auction off one of their items. The bidding starts. The item sells for a dollar or two, or a little more depending upon how desirable it is. Then, the money (in nickels) is given to the seller by the buyer, and the next one on the list takes their turn. Once through the list, you begin again, selling the next item you brought. The more you sell an item for the more buying power you have.
I ended up buying a new purse, a tri-color ink cartridge for my printer, a Calgon gift pack, a crystal candy dish, and some art. I still had about three dollars in nickels left when all was said and done! There was plenty of fun and food and it was nice to spend a couple hours with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment