Sunday, May 8, 2011

EIGHTEEN!


It was with MANY mixed emotions that we celebrated Cari's eighteenth birthday. I have been fine (planning on her graduating from high school and going away to college), but the day before her birthday it hit me: SHE's an ADULT!!! In about three years, I'll have three adult children (and there's nothing I can do to stop it....not that I'd really want to....it's just hard to think that life is changing, and changing fast). I think what really affected me was when Mike told her she wouldn't need her mom's signature anymore - I think in a way I felt like my job as her mom was being taken from me. In some ways that is true, but I know no matter what, I will always be her mom and here for her if she ever needs me.

She had a great birthday. I placed a couple of signs up in the house to tell her she was loved, and happy birthday. While at school, in the middle of her seminary class, a big wrapped box and a bouquet of balloons was delivered to her. She opened the box to find three large boxes of Frosted Flakes cereal inside. It was a gift from her prom date, Tony. It made her feel good. This picture was of her getting home from school.


I made Cari's favorite for dinner: Beef Stroganoff with broccoli. She wanted a yellow or white cake with chocolate frosting. I made her a french vanilla cake with chocolate fudge frosting. Corban helped me make it and also put on the candles.



We sang Happy Birthday and ate cake and ice cream at about 9pm when we were all able to be together.


Corban wanted to open her present, and because it wasn't for him, he ended up a little sad:



Just before she opened it, her present started to "ring." It was Papa Beutler calling her on her new (and first) cell phone! Mike had given him her phone number and his call was perfect timing! She was excited to get this gift, though she does NOT have any texting with it. We are looking forward to being able to keep in touch with her when she moves away from home.



The pop-up card pictured at the beginning of this post was made by Kristi for Cari. She also received cards from Cameron and Elise and Grandparents.

No comments:

Post a Comment