Sunday, November 7, 2010

Talents & 10Ks

This past week was the elementary school's Harvest of Talent competition. The students were encouraged to participate in at least one category (Drawing; Painting; Collage; Photography; Short Story; Poetry; Dance; Vocal or Instrumental). Cameron drew a picture of a dining room. There were a lot of drawing entries for his grade hanging in the hallway. This next week, we will find out the results of the judging. A first, second and third place is given in each category, for each grade level.



From what I observed, Elise was the only first grader to enter a painting. So, chances are good that she will earn a blue ribbon this week. Everyone that participates in the Harvest of Talent will receive a participation ribbon. Elise also entered a poem that she wrote, titled Potato Soup.



I was involved in the judging of the instrumental and vocal entries. It was fun to hear and see the kids share their developing talents. They all did a GREAT job.

On Saturday morning, Trevon and I went to Springdale,UT to participate in the Butch Cassidy 10K race. It was a beautiful day for a race. We picked up one of Trevon's friends (Kaden Ashcraft) who was also signed up to do the race. This photo was taken before the race:



This is a photo of us right after the run. I was twenty minutes behind the boys, who were awarded 1st (Kaden) and 3rd (Trevon) in their age division. Kaden is the friend who encouraged Trevon to join the high school cross country team.





We restored our energies with some food before the awards were handed out.



Trevon's Bronze Medal:



Kaden and Trevon



I enjoyed the morning in the beautiful outdoors with the fall colors and mountains of Springdale surrounding me. The run went well for me too. I ran faster than I usually run 6 miles. It is always hard to keep your pace when surrounded by other runners. There were a couple of steep hills in the run, and I just made sure I kept running, as hard as it became. When I run on a hill, I tend to run on my toes. Many of the other runners stopped and walked the hills when they came to them. As we drove home from the race, we talked about "running on your toes." Kaden said that he runs that way. Running on your toes helps you move faster and is better for you. He said that at first it was hard for him to do it, but now it is second nature to him. (When you run on your toes, you step from the balls of your feet,to your toes, rather than using the heel or running flat footed.)
As I thought about the race and running on my toes, I thought that it was interesting that I automatically chose to do so (run on toes) when I reached the steep hills. It was the only way I could get up the hills without stopping. I likened this to how the hills or trials in our lives often lead us to a better way - "on our toes" so to speak. I hope that I will choose to always live in such a way that no matter what my circumstances are (trial or ease), that I will be found doing those things that are right and good. Running on my toes, so to speak!

No comments:

Post a Comment