Sadie participated in the Tuacahn Summer Arts Institute last week. This music camp included auditions, technique classes, music history, sectional rehearsals, chamber rehersals and coaching, private lessons, and orchestra rehersals. Each day would begin at 9am and last until 7:30pm (with lunch and dinner in between).
The instructors Sadie had for technique class and sectionals included: Linda Deluca (New Century Chamber Orchestra), Winona Fifield (Tulsa Symphony Orchestra), and Dr. Elizabeth Wallace (UVU).

Sadie played a quartet by Haydn (no. 20 (?) minuetto allegretto) and on Friday evening participated in a student chamber concert using this music.

A guest conductor, Taras Krysa, from Russia, led the orchestra rehersals. Sadie kept notes of some of the things he said that she liked (imagine the Russian accent as you read these):
Have you ever had sandpaper in your ears? Use the tip! The tip of the bow! * Smile Big * It has been printed for 100 years * Stop! It is like a memory of a bad dream * We need much more meat and much much more hamburgers * Musically, you are very depressed * This is what dress rehearsal is for but you have to be ready for it * It's just not happening * Push button DELETE * Don't write down - it's printed in your part * Don't let it die down * You can't say: I got it! It's easy! * I hear a bathtub of unnecessary sounds * Make it exactly - exactly a quarter note * Now, you sound like a guitar which is nice, but not what I need * It sounds very jittery and insignificant * It's great except for the first note * The second time is usually better, but not in this case * Okay, now let's sleep on it * Give the music some nice, fatty meal - a hamburger * I'm in 2! * You must match articulations * One more time, please * I have two requests * No tapping foot - it is a bad habit * Phenomenal * I left you back in 1976 * Intelligence is good * You sound like a chainsaw * My ears are starting bleeding - save my ears * Use your musical intelligence * I whole heartedly agree * Good, but use much less bow *
Saturday afternoon, our family attended a final concert where the orchestra played - complete with flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, trumpet, trombone, tuba, violin, viola, cello, and bass. It was a WONDERFUL concert. They played Finlandia, Op. 26 (Jean Sibelius) and then a 40 minute symphony, Symphony No. 8 in G major, Op. 88 (Antonin Dvorak). It was a wonderful finale to the week.
No comments:
Post a Comment