Summertime means swimming lessons! This year, Cameron, Elise and Corban are taking swimming lessons.
Elise is very comfortable in the water. On the first day of her lesson, she went down the slide. The rest of the week she avoided it and the diving board as she didn't like going under the water. She keeps talking about jumping off the board, but is nervous about it. I am hoping this next week she conquers her fear and goes for it! Either way, she is improving her swimming skills and having a good time too.
Corban pleaded with me to NOT take him to swimming lessons. He is not comfortable in the water. However, this past week I have seen more courage in this kid than I think I have seen in anyone.
He hesitantly sat at the edge of the pool for his lesson. On the first day, he fussed and didn't blow bubbles in the water or "talk" to the fish. When his instructor put him in a floating position, Corban would anxiously tell her to put him back on the step. He would say, "Are we done now? Okay, put me back now." Then he would ask, "Are we doing it again? Okay, then put me right back." He was terrified as he was held in the water. Still, he would look at me (with pleading in his eyes that I would take him home), and then go and do what he was told. I was amazed at how courageous he was. It was a noticeably hard thing for him to do, but he did it! The second day was hard for him too. He cried some, but I refused to sit near the pool when he cried, so he quickly stopped and then I sat near him. He grew in his trust for his instructors and even attempted to "talk" to the fish.
The whole experience seemed painful to him - still, he pressed on! That is the amazing part to me. Even though he really dreaded the whole thing, he knew it was something he had to do...so he did.
By the third day, Corban wasn't begging to be put back on the step anymore, though he still found great comfort in it. He was overcoming his fear. I could hardly believe it when I saw him being dropped off of the diving board. WOW. He blew bubbles, he swam like a rocket (as he was held by his teachers) and kicked his feet. He didn't cry anymore. By day four, he was blowing ping-pong balls in the water as he "swam." It was like watching a miracle happen right in front of me. Just watching what he was able to do in a few days made me want to conquer the things I fear or have a hard time doing (like playing the piano in public)!
Last year, Cameron was equally afraid of the water. This year he has been much more confident. I know the more you do something (PRACTICE), the easier it gets! He is enjoying his lessons very much. Especially the "free time" at the end of the lesson when he can do whatever trick he wants to.
I'm looking forward to seeing the improvement that I know will take place this week during their swimming lessons. WAY TO GO KIDS!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment