Sunday, February 13, 2011

Community Service


This past week I received a phone call from the city, seeking volunteers to help clean up and define a trail at one of its parks. Our family has helped with other city "projects" and are called on every so often when there is needed work to do. We enjoy pitching in and Saturday was no exception.




I enjoyed taking Cari, Trevon and Sadie with me to trail-blaze. It was great exercise; I discovered a great new place to hike or take my family; I made new friends; and spent some quality time with my kids.



One of the people I met was a woman by the name of Lucy. She retired a few months ago and wanted something to do. She decided to volunteer her time to a committee that makes and maintains trails in the area. She shared with me the time she and a friend rode their bikes across the United States in 90 days. Wow! Ordinary people do such extrordinary things! ((I love saying that, (1)because it's true, and (2)because it is empowering to me!))



It was a great way to spend a Saturday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment