An acquaintance of mine (Janine Wuerz) asked me if I would help her play some prelude music for a political fund raiser. She wanted me to play the flute as she played piano. I then recruited Sadie to play the violin with us. We played ten different classical pieces; some pieces all together; some with just the flute and piano and some just violin and piano. I enjoyed the three or four practices we had a couple of weeks before hand. I love playing the flute! It just makes me feel good and happy inside to make music!
The fundraiser was called the Lincoln Day Breakfast. Basically, those all over Washington County are invited to purchase a table or seat for this breakfast. I heard that seats were $250 each, then another source said something about $1,000. Those contributing and participating were trying to raise monies to support the candidates of the Republican party; Monies that are used for fliers, reminders to vote, anything really that helps promote a candidate (in our area)for office.
I liked the red white and blue decore of the tables. Right outside of the room, there was a wonderful buffet set up, where guests could get their food before the program.
Sadie, Janine and I played while everyone gathered and ate. We ended up playing twice as long as we had planned, just over an hour. It was hard for the flute to be heard, and partway through our playing, someone put a microphone to us. That happened while I was playing the number that was most challenging for me!
At 8:30am the program began with a thank you to us and then a flag ceremony. Present were Governor Gary Herbert, numerous Senators, and Mayors (mine included), Commissioners and such. It was good to see many from my own neighborhood who were there to show their concern and support for our governing officials.
Wow Shelly! What an honor!!
ReplyDeleteSadie has a beautiful tone to her playing. So enjoy reading about what you've been up to. Love you guys!
ReplyDelete