Sunday, February 26, 2012

Daydreams & Dandelions

Daydreams and Dandelions is a talent contest for the elementary students at Three Falls Elementary. This year, on the day the entries were due, Cameron and Elise decided to enter the contest. I told her there was NO WAY she could paint a picture and have it dry in time for school, so she wrote a poem. Cameron drew a picture with magic markers of the Battle of Coral Sea (May 1942).  At the awards assembly, Elise was awarded a 2nd place medal (and a fruit roll-up) for her poem! She was so happy and anxious to share her success with us.

Cameron didn't win any big prizes but I was glad he wanted to enter and so impressed with what he knows about history. I admit that there are many things my kids know, that I don't. I'm glad they teach me just as much as I teach them.

A Valentine Surprise
by Elise Beutler

I woke up one Valentine's morning
And it was pouring
Pouring rain.

But there at the foot of my bed
Was a Valentine so red
Red and nice.

I thought and thought who was it from
Who in the rain would come
Come at night.

I picked it up and looked inside
It was so nice I cried
Cried out loud.

My mom came and whispered in my ear
She said I love you dear
Dear child.

No comments:

Post a Comment