Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Merry Christmas!

On Christmas Eve, I made a Chicken Enchiladas for dinner. After cleaning up, we gathered in the living room and Mike read from Luke 2 in the Bible (the Christmas Story). In between verses we sang some songs.

Next, we went downstairs and played a white elephant game. This has become a tradition at our house. In the center of the floor we placed enough gifts for everyone to have one. Each person drew a number and that was the order in which we were to take and open a gift. Cameron got to start. He ended up with a train set. Corban really liked that train set and waited patiently for his turn to pick a gift.


As the game goes, when it is your turn, you have the option of picking out a wrapped gift from the pile, OR taking one from someone who has already opened one. Cari chose to open a new gift.


Trevon took away the candies I had opened...REALLY, I was glad about that...who needs 'em!


I got to choose again, and ended up with a piggy bank - just what I wanted!!! When Corban's turn came around, he took the train!

By the end of the game, everyone had something they were happy with. We filled a table with different snacks and goodies and watched the "Santa Clause" movie before heading to bed.


When the kids woke on Christmas morning, they found NEW stockings were hung for them.



 I put a breakfast casserole in the oven and the kids came upstairs to see what was waiting for them by the Christmas Tree.

 New bikes for Cameron, Elise and Corban were the first things they noticed...

 ...then Mike passed out the gifts and we opened them together.










 We ate breakfast and got dressed for church. The boys had a little time to enjoy some of their gifts.

 We had a nice Christmas Program at church. I led the choir in singing almost a dozen different songs. Cari played her flute while we sang "Silent Night." A narration of the Christmas Story was spoken between musical numbers. I loved going to church on Christmas Day. When we returned home we had a turkey dinner and some apple pie with ice cream for dessert. We enjoyed visiting on the phone with loved ones and spending time together.

One of the movies Santa brought was "The Testaments: Of One Fold and One Shepherd." It is a favorite of our family and we watched it together. How thankful we are to have a Savior, even Jesus Christ, and for the special day in which we were able to reflect on His birth and life. It was a very happy day for us.

We asked our family to write down what they liked about Christmas this year. Here are the responses:

* Spending quality time with family; The ward choir program; watching my kids grow up and learn to appreciate Christmas more. Mike
* Sewing stockings for each family member; Attending church on Christmas Day to worship our Savior through music. Shelly
* That so many people thought of others (usually the kids don't get gifts for anyone other than the person they draw). Cari
* CHURCH. Trevon
* I loved the bright smiles on all of our faces - the smiles stayed all day. Sadie
* I got to spend so much time with my family and got to know my family better. Kristi
* The funny movie, Santa Clause; I love the laughter. Cameron
* The presents. Elise
*Trains; Sleep when Santa was here. Corban

No comments:

Post a Comment