Wednesday, April 1, 2009

What's for Dinner?





At one time, I dreaded those words, "What's for dinner?" Sometimes I would just answer, "FOOD!" I don't really mind the MAKING of dinner, but deciding WHAT to have for dinner was my biggest dilemma. One night as I was preparing a meal, I decided that I also needed more help (from my very able bodied children), in the kitchen. Besides, one of my responsibilities is to teach them to be self-sufficient! I assigned each of them a day of the week in which they are responsible for choosing WHAT we have for dinner, AND FIXING that dinner (with my help). It has proved to be a wonderful idea!
Sunday . . . Elise
Monday . . . Trevon
Tuesday . . . Cameron
Wednesday . . . Cari
Thursday . . . Sadie
Friday . . . Corban
Saturday . . . Kristi

On Sunday, we have a family council together in which they each let me know what they want to make for dinner during the week. Then, I make sure we have the needed ingredients on hand to do so. Last night, Cameron made pizza for us. I have really enjoyed working with each one of my children on their assigned dinner night. On Corban's night I usually have left-overs or something easy. That's the night Mike & I usually go out for a date night.

4 comments:

  1. Great idea!!! Maybe I'll have to try it! Your family is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great Mom you are. I like your "Food!" answer. I'll have to try that. :) I hate the "What's for dinner" question...and I only have 3 kids! I always wonder if it drove my Mom nuts when probably all 10 of us kids asked her that question.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I am so doing that! Love the idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so using that answer - "Food" for the What's for dinner question. I love it. My kids are old enough (except Nellie my 4 year old) to even fix themselves dinner if they wanted to, so I still hate the "What's for dinner?" question. I have tried the everyones in charge for a night and they pick the meal thing. It's been awhile - I need to try it again.

    ReplyDelete