Sunday, September 23, 2012

Elise's Baptism

Elise's baptism day was a very special day. Her baptism took place on Saturday, September 8th at 9:30a.m. at the Hurricane Stake Center of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Cari and Trevon came home for this special event, Trevon bringing her a special birthday gift: a Beta fish she named Blueberry.
On the morning of Elise's baptism, Trevon looked out of the basement bedroom window and a king snake was there in the window well. He caught it and put it in a bucket when we left for the baptism. When we came back home, the bucket was empty and the snake was no where to be found!
 
Elise was both excited and nervous about being baptized. She told me she thought she wasn't ready and I asked her when she thought she would feel ready. She said, "In a year." She wanted to be baptized but having to be immersed in the water scared her. I reminded her that she had arrived at the age of accountability and was old enough to know right from wrong and that meant that it was the right time for her to be baptized. She agreed and was very courageous as she stepped into the waters of baptism.
 
 Another 8 year old girl, Hadley Clayton, was baptized too. They shared the planning of the program. Elise asked her Grandma Ferrin to give a talk on baptism and Papa Beutler said the opening prayer. Cari, Sadie and Kristi helped with the music: Kristi and Sadie played a violin duet together that was beautiful.
 
Elise had lots of support at her baptism. I gave her special doll to Hadley's mom to use for her talk on the Holy Ghost. She wanted to liken the Spirit to a comforter, and this doll that her Great Grandma Miller crocheted, is a great comfort to Elise. It helped her to understand the comfort the Holy Ghost brings.
Our neighbor, Judge Carr came to show his support, along with Grandma and Grandpa Ferrin, Dad (Mike) and Mom (Shelly), Grandma and Papa Beutler, Kristi, Sadie, Cari, Trevon, Cameron, (Elise) and Corban.
WE LOVE ELISE VERY MUCH and are so pleased with her choice to follow Jesus Christ.
I asked her to write down her thoughts about her baptism. These are her words: "On the day of my baptism I was nervous. I thought I wasn't ready to be baptized. My grandmother did the talk and my grandfather did the prayer. There's one thing I didn't like. My mother took my doll and let someone use it for a talk. When I went in the water I thought it was warm. It felt weird when I went under water and the water went over my face. After that, I felt really clean and my stomach felt warm. I think that was the most special day of my life. I was glad that I was baptized." (Recorded two days later on Monday, September 10, 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment