Sunday, August 16, 2009

Back to School

School started on Thursday for six of our seven children. It would be interesting to compare these "first-day" pictures with pictures taken on the last day of school. I asked each one, what their favorite part of being back at school was. Their answers are listed below their pictures:



"Friends"
________________________



"None of it. I don't have a favorite part. The long lunch break."
________________________



"Getting new teachers."
________________________



"Having a new teacher."
________________________



"Eating lunch and staying there longer. I have three recesses."
________________________



"Going on the Safari and having my own cubbyhole to put my things in."
________________________



This pumpkin came from our garden. There are about fifteen pumpkins growing right now. This morning we enjoyed a honeydew melon from the garden. Corban used all his strength to carry this pumpkin around.
________________________





This is Elise's first day at Kindergarten. The door was heavy and hard for her to open. Her teacher gave her some paper binoculars and a safari hat and map and sent her around the classroom, working at different centers. She loved it. Her teacher has a class blog that she will post pictures on of all the fun things they do this year. Feel free to check it out weekly to see what Elise is doing and learning. The address is: vargakindergarten2010.blogspot.com You can click on Elise's Kindergarten at the right side of the screen under Friends and Family to access it as well.
________________________



Saturday was the 2009 Washington County Fair. Trevon ran in the 5K race (that's just over three miles). His time was 20:12.8 (6:30 min/mi). He was first place in his age group(men 11-14 years). Had the race taken place a week later, he would have been in a different age bracket. He was 11th place overall. There were about a hundred participants in all. It was so fun seeing Trevon cross the finish line. I had to hold back my tears. It reminded me a little of when I ran the St. George Marathon a few years ago. It feels so good to work hard on something and to get to a "finish" line. A part of me decided I would start running again. I miss it.

________________________

P.S. Our little hummingbird past away, a week after finding it. We were all sad to see him go. On Thursday he seemed to suddenly lose his strength and then he was gone. We were happy we were able to care for him and love him for the little time we did though.

1 comment:

  1. School is in session!! Amazing! Cool pictures. I'm sorry about the hummingbird. That's too bad.

    ReplyDelete